Silent Night – Holy Night Tour – Salzburg
Enjoy a full-day Tour exploring the locations related to and the history of this world famous christmas carol!
Learn about the two composers: Franz Xaver Gruber and Joseph Mohr, both born and raised in the local area. Learn about their lives and backgrounds and how this song has become one of the most celebrated Christmas songs throughout the world!
During this tour, we will share with you the circumstances of the time in which the song was created and discuss the evolution of the song over time. Interestingly, there are seven locations related to the history of Silent Night: Arnsdorf, development of of the melody; Mariapfarr, development of the poem; Oberndorf where the the poem and the melody were put together; Salzburg where the composers spent their childhoods; Hallein where Franz Xaver Gruber lived after Oberndorf and where he dies and is buried; and Wagrain where Joseph Mohr died and is buried. All together 7 versions of the song have been composed and published at the beginning and the song contains 7 verses contain the song.
This tour is available year around; however, during the Christmas season you will also be treated to a delicious hot drink at a local Christmas market and, perhaps enjoy live music performed in a stunning Christmas atmosphere!
We offer the tour as described above; however we do focus on tailor-made tours so we can adapt the tour to your specific interest.
We will pick you up in one of our glass-roof vehicles for tour that will include:
- Drive from Salzburg to the area of Hallein where you will see the museum of Silent night
- Drive to the city of Oberndorf to the locations where Silent Night was firstly performed
- Drive to the village of Arnsdorf, where Franz Xaver Gruber was a school teacher during the creation of this song
- Attend a performance of Silent Night – holy night chapel in Oberndorf, on the location of the former church in which this wold famous Christmas song was firstly performed
- Return to Salzburg where Joseph Mohr was born and has spent his childhood
Following the tour you will be returned to the pick-up location, unless you wish to be stopped off at another location in the Salzburg area.
Enjoy an entire day with us and be memorized by the enchantment of the Christmas spirit!
Looking forward to welcoming you at Salzburg, where Silent Night is not only a Christmas carol…